Cleaning is one of those chores which we try and get away with doing the minimum possible. Here is a list of items which are often forgotten about, you’ve probably never cleaned some of these. Most of them don’t need to be cleaned often but you should try and give them a clean once every few months at least.
- Vacuum filter. When last did you take your vacuum cleaner apart and clean all of the sponges and filters? These can easily be cleaned in the dishwasher (not with the dishes) and will prevent dust from escaping from your vacuum cleaner next time you clean the house.
- Hairbrush. Have you taken a moment to have a close look at your hairbrush? It is full of tangled hair and dirt. Clean it off occasionally by pulling off the caught hair and washing it with some shampoo.
- Toothbrush. Although they are used for cleaning, they are not automatically kept clean. Place them into the dishwasher (not the electric toothbrushes) once a week to give them a proper cleaning.
- Cellphone. Take your phone out of its cover and give it a proper wipe down with a sanitary wipe or a damp cloth. Clean the cover out as well before putting the phone back into it.
- Scatter cushion covers. How often do you take your scatter cushions out of their covers and give them a wash? Wash them in the machine on a delicate cycle once a month.
- Keyboard, remote and game controllers. You hands are one of the dirtiest parts of your body and are in daily contact with your keyboard, remote controllers an game controllers. Give these items a wipe down with a strong cleaner at least every second week.
- Trash cans. We take out the bag but very seldom clean the trash can out properly. Take it out into the garden and give it a hose down with some detergent.
- Bathroom Vent Fan. The bathroom vent fan runs most of the day and does a great job of collecting dust behind the cover. Remove the cover and filter (in some models) and give them a wash in the dishwasher every few months.
- Broom. Your broom is used to sweep dust and dirt at least a few times a week but it is likely never cleaned itself. Wash it down with the hose pipe and some detergent once a month.
- Your car’s steering wheel. Again, the steering wheel is in daily contact with your hands and therefore should be cleaned once a week with a sanitary wipe or cloth.
- Doormat. People wipe their feet on your doormat every day. Dust it off on a weekly basis to get rid of dirt and dust and give it a full wash once a month.
- Door handles and locks. Your door handles on your home and car are also touched on a daily basis. Give them a wipe down with a cloth and detergent once a week.
- Pillows and duvet. We all change our sheets, pillow covers and duvet covers but have you ever washed your pillows and the duvet? Dirt, dust and bacteria work their way through the fibers in the covers and need to be washed out periodically as well. Hand wash them or use the machine on a delicate cycle if your bedding allows it.
- Household plants. You household plants are not often thought of as something that needs to be cleaned however they too collect dust and there is not rain indoors to wash it off. You get special wipes for household plants which do not damage their leaves.
- Fans. Your free standing oscillating fans collect dust on the blades and the cage around the blades. Take the cage and blades off of the fan twice a season and wash them in the dishwasher. Make sure that they are properly dry before re-installing them.
- Dish racks. We put our dish drying racks out and use them on a daily basis but never clean them. These can also easily be added to the dishwasher once a month for a proper clean.
- The kitchen sponge. Your kitchen sponge sits in a wet dark place for most of the day which is conducive to bacteria growth. Pop them in the microwave for a minute once a week to sterilize or put them in the dishwasher with the dish cycle.
Do you have another other items in your home which are forgotten about? Let us know in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you.